Companies Act 2014
Reservation of a company name
28. (1) In this section—
“reserved” means reserved under subsection (4) for the particular purpose mentioned in subsection (2);
“specified period” means the period specified in the relevant notification made by the Registrar under subsection (5).
(2) A person may apply to the Registrar to reserve a specified name for either of the following purposes, namely—
(a) the purpose of a company that is proposed to be formed by that person being incorporated with that name;
(b) the purpose of a company changing its name to that name,
and, in either such case, such an application shall be accompanied by the prescribed fee.
(3) In subsection (2), “person” means, for the purposes of paragraph (b) of it, the company referred to in that paragraph.
(4) On the making of such an application, the Registrar may, subject to subsection (7), determine that the name specified in the application shall be reserved for the particular purpose mentioned in subsection (2).
(5) That determination shall be notified to the applicant by the Registrar and that notification shall specify the period for which the name is reserved.
(6) The specified period shall not be greater than 28 days and shall be expressed to begin on the making of the notification.
(7) A name shall not be reserved that, in the opinion of the Registrar, is undesirable.
(8) A person in whose favour a name has been reserved may, before the expiry of the specified period, apply to the Registrar for an extension of the specified period; such an application shall be accompanied by the prescribed fee.
(9) On the making of such an application, the Registrar may, if he or she considers it appropriate to do so, extend the specified period for such number of days (not exceeding 28 days) as the Registrar determines and specifies in a notification of the determination to the applicant.
Power pursuant to subss. (2), (8) exercised (1.06.2015) by Companies Act 2014 (Fees) Regulations 2015 (S.I. No. 213 of 2015), in effect as per reg. 1(2).