Companies Act 2014
Trading under a misleading name
27. (1) Neither a body that is not a company nor an individual shall carry on any trade, profession or business under a name which includes, as its last part, the word “limited” or the words “company limited by shares” or any abbreviations of any of the foregoing words.
(2) If a body or individual contravenes subsection (1), the body or individual and, in the case of a body, any officer of it who is in default, shall be guilty of a category 3 offence.
(3) Subsection (1) as it relates to the use of the word “limited”, or any abbreviation of that word, shall not apply to a society registered under the Industrial and Provident Societies Acts 1893 to 2014.
(4) A company shall not, in the following circumstances, use a name which may reasonably be expected to give the impression that it is any type of company other than a private company limited by shares or that it is any other form of body corporate.
(5) Those circumstances are circumstances in which the fact that it is a private company limited by shares is likely to be material to any person.
(6) If a company contravenes subsection (4), the company and any officer of it who is in default shall be guilty of a category 3 offence.
(7) Subsection (1) shall not apply to any company—
(a) to which Part 21 applies, and
(b) which has provisions in its constitution that would entitle it to rank as a private company limited by shares (whether under this Part or Part 16 ) if it had been registered in the State.
Inserted by Legal Services Regulation Act 2015 (65/2015), s. 132, not commenced as of date of revision.
Modifications (not altering text):
Prospective affecting provision: subs. (3A) inserted by Legal Services Regulation Act 2015 (65/2015), s. 132, not commenced as of date of revision.
F8 [ (3A) Subsection (1) as it relates to the use of the word ‘ limited ’ , or any abbreviation of that word, shall not apply to a limited liability partnership (within the meaning of the Legal Services Regulation Act 2015 ). ]