Employment Equality Act 1998
Form and content of decisions and determinations.
88.— (1) Every decision of the F157 [ Director General of the Workplace Relations Commission ] or determination of the Labour Court under this Part shall be in writing and—
( a) if the F157 [ Director General of the Workplace Relations Commission ] or the Labour Court thinks fit, or
( b) if any of the parties so requests,
the decision or determination shall include a statement of the reasons why the F157 [ Director General of the Workplace Relations Commission ] reached that decision or, as the case may be, why the Labour Court reached that determination.
(2) By notice in writing to the parties, the F157 [ Director General of the Workplace Relations Commission ] or, as the case may be, the Chairman of the Labour Court may correct any mistake (including an omission) of a verbal or formal nature in a decision or determination under this Part.
(3) In this section “ the parties” means—
( b) in the case of a determination under section 83 , the parties to the appeal,
( c) in the case of a decision under section 85 , the Authority and the persons referred to in subsections (2) (b) and (c) of that section, and
(4) If any person who participated in an investigation under section 79 or 86 is not correctly identified in the resulting decision or determination, the correction of that error shall be regarded as falling within subsection (2).
Substituted (1.10.2015) by Workplace Relations Act 2015 (16/2015), s. 83(1)(c)(ii), S.I. No. 410 of 2015, subject to transitional provision in subs. (2).
Deleted (18.07.2004) by Equality Act 2004 (24/2004), s. 46 and sch. para. 23, commenced on enactment.
Modifications (not altering text):
Application of section extended with modifications by Pensions Act 1990 (25/1990), s. 81J and sch. 4, as inserted (5.04.2004) by Social Welfare (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2004 (9/2004), s. 22, S.I. No. 141 of 2004, as amended (18.07.2004) by Equality Act 2004 24/2004), s. 66(3)(e), commenced on enactment.
Application of Employment Equality Act 1998.
81J.—(1) In this section ‘the Act of 1998’ means the Employment Equality Act 1998.
(2) Sections 74, [76, 77A], 78 to 81, 83 to 85 and 86 to 104 of the Act of 1998 shall, where appropriate, apply in relation to this Part as they apply in relation to that Act but with the following modifications.
(3) Those modifications are that for the words set out in column (3) of the Fourth Schedule at a particular reference number, being words appearing in a section or sections of the Act of 1998 specified in column (2) of that Schedule at that reference number, there shall be substituted in the place or, as the case may be, each place where those words occur in that section or sections the words set out in column (4) of that Schedule at that reference number.