Companies Act 2014
Authorisation of an electronic filing agent
35. (1) A company may authorise a person (who shall be known and is in this Act referred to as an “electronic filing agent”) to do the following acts on its behalf.
(2) Those acts are—
(a) the electronic signing of documents that are required or authorised, by or under this Act or any other enactment, to be delivered by the company to the Registrar; and
(b) the delivery to the Registrar, by electronic means, of those documents so signed.
(3) The authorisation of a firm (not being a body corporate) by its firm name to do the foregoing acts on behalf of a company shall operate to authorise the following persons to do those acts on the company’s behalf, namely those persons who are from time to time during the currency of the authorisation the partners in that firm as from time to time constituted.
(4) Subject to the following conditions being satisfied, an act of the foregoing kind done by such an agent on behalf of a company pursuant to an authorisation by the company under this section that is in force shall be as valid in law as if it had been done by the company (and the requirements of this Act or the other enactment concerned with respect to the doing of the act have otherwise been complied with (such as with regard to the period within which the act is to be done)).
(5) The conditions mentioned in subsection (4) are—
(a) that prior to the first instance of the electronic filing agent’s doing of an act of the kind referred to in subsection (2), pursuant to an authorisation by the company concerned under this section, the authorisation of the agent has been notified by the company to the Registrar in the prescribed form; and
(6) It shall be the joint responsibility of a company and the electronic filing agent authorised by it under this section to manage the control of the documents referred to in subsection (2).
F9 [ (7) An electronic filing agent shall not, by virtue of his or her authorisation under this section to act as such, be regarded as an officer or servant of the company concerned for the purposes of Regulation 93(2) or (3) of the 2016 Audits Regulations. ]
Substituted (17.06.2016) by European Union (Statutory Audits) (Directive 2006/43/EC, as amended by Directive 2014/56/EU, and Regulation (EU) No 537/2014) Regulations 2016 (S.I. No. 312 of 2016), reg. 7, in effect as per regs. 1(2), 3 and subject to transitional provision in reg. 143.