Companies Act 2014
Statement to be included in balance sheet if audit exemption availed of
335. (1) If a company avails itself of the audit exemption in a financial year, the balance sheet prepared by the company in respect of that year shall contain a statement by the directors of the company that, in respect of that year—
(c) no notice under subsection (1) of section 334 has, in accordance with subsection (2) of that section, been served on the company, and
(d) the directors acknowledge the obligations of the company, under this Act, to—
(i) keep adequate accounting records and prepare financial statements which give a true and fair view of the assets, liabilities and financial position of the company at the end of its financial year and of its profit or loss for such a year, and
(ii) otherwise comply with the provisions of this Act relating to financial statements so far as they are applicable to the company.
(2) The statement required by subsection (1) shall appear in the balance sheet in a position immediately above the signatures of the directors required by section 324 or, as the case may be, the statement required by section 355.
(3) If subsection (1) or (2) is not complied with, the company concerned and any officer of it who is in default shall be guilty of a category 3 offence.
(4) If the company referred to in subsection (1) is a holding company that prepares group financial statements for the financial year concerned, that subsection shall be read as applying both to its entity balance sheet and its group balance sheet.
(5) Whenever a company has availed itself of the audit exemption in respect of a financial year, the company shall, if required by the Director of Corporate Enforcement to do so—
(a) give to the Director such access to and facilities for inspecting and taking copies of the books and documents of the company, and
(b) furnish to the Director such information, as the Director may reasonably require for the purpose of satisfying himself or herself that the company did, in respect of that financial year, comply with section 358 or 359 , as appropriate.
(6) If a company fails to comply with a requirement under subsection (5), the company and any officer of it who is in default shall be guilty of a category 4 offence.
(a) the audit exemption, as referred to in section 359(1) , applies to a group, and
(b) any subsidiary undertaking in that group relies on that exemption (and does not have its statutory financial statements for the year concerned audited in consequence),
references in this section to a company availing itself of the audit exemption shall be read, as respects that subsidiary undertaking, as including references to such an undertaking and subsection (3) shall be read accordingly.
(8) In this section “audit exemption” does not include the dormant company audit exemption referred to in section 365 but that section makes similar provision, by applying and adapting its terms, to that made by this section.
Modifications (not altering text):
Application of subss. (3), (6) extended (1.01.2020) by European Union (Qualifying Partnerships: Accounting and Auditing) Regulations 2019 (S.I. No. 597 of 2019), reg. 42(5)(a), (b), in effect as per reg. 1(2), (3).
(5) (a) A qualifying partnership that fails to comply with any provision referred to in sections 316(3), 325(6), 332(4), 335(3), 335(6), 337(5), 340(7), 343(11), 347(5), 348(6), 374(4), 376(3), 377(7), 1459 or 1460 of the Principal Act as applied by these Regulations commits an offence.
(b) Where an offence under subparagraph (a) is committed by a qualifying partnership and it is proved that the offence was committed with the consent or connivance, or was attributable to any wilful neglect, of a person who was -
(i) a member of the qualifying partnership,
(ii) a director of such a member, or
(iii) a person purporting to act in either such capacity,
that person shall, as well as the qualifying partnership, be guilty of an offence and may be proceeded against and punished as if he or she were guilty of the first-mentioned offence.