Credit Union and Co-operation with Overseas Regulators Act 2012
Operation of board of directors.
16.— The Principal Act is amended by substituting the following for section 54:
“54.— (1) The board of directors of a credit union shall meet as often as may be appropriate to fulfil its responsibilities effectively and prudently and reflecting the nature, scale and complexity of the credit union, but in any event—
( a) the board of directors shall hold at least 10 meetings in any year, and
( b) the interval between any 2 meetings of the board of directors shall not be greater than 6 weeks.
(2) Meetings of the board of directors of a credit union shall be chaired by the chair or, in his or her absence, by the vice-chair or, in the absence of the chair and the vice-chair, in a manner prescribed by the Bank or, if no manner is so prescribed, in a manner provided for in the rules of the credit union.
(3) The secretary of a credit union shall keep minutes of all meetings of the board of directors.
(4) Subject to subsection (10), the chair shall cause a detailed agenda of items for consideration and discussion to be prepared by the secretary of the credit union for each meeting of the board of directors.
(5) The secretary of the credit union shall cause the detailed agenda and proposed minutes of the previous meeting of the board of directors to be circulated sufficiently in advance of each board of directors meeting to allow all directors adequate time to consider them. Where necessary, sufficient and clear supporting information and papers shall also be so circulated.
(6) Nothing in subsection (4) or (5) shall be read as preventing discussion or consideration of any matter urgently arising that is not included in the detailed agenda but any such matter shall, without prejudice to subsection (7), be recorded in the minutes of the meeting concerned and, where appropriate or the board of the credit union so directs, clear supporting information and papers relating to the matter so arising shall be circulated as soon as practicable in the circumstances.
(7) Minutes of all meetings of the board of directors shall—
( a) be prepared with all decisions, discussions and points for further action being documented,
( b) record all dissensions or minority votes in terms acceptable to the dissenting person or minority voter, and
( c) provide sufficient detail to identify the nature and extent of the discussion on any matter and the decision or other outcome.
(8) All discussions at board of directors meetings relating to conflicts of interest (whether of board members or otherwise) shall be recorded in sufficient detail in the minutes of the meeting concerned, together with a record of any action taken or proposed to be taken.
(9) The minutes of each meeting of the board of directors shall be motioned for agreement and approval at the next subsequent meeting of the board of directors. Those minutes shall be so approved or approved subject to such qualifications and modifications as may be made to them at that subsequent meeting. Any such modification or qualification shall also be minuted in the minutes of that subsequent meeting.
(10) In causing the agenda for a meeting of directors of a credit union to be prepared, the chair shall endeavour to ensure that adequate and sufficient time is provisionally allocated to all material relevant matters for discussion.
(11) Directors of the board of directors shall attend every meeting of the board of directors unless they are unable to attend due to circumstances beyond their control.
(12) The extent of the attendance of each board member at meetings of the board of directors shall be recorded in the minutes for the meeting concerned.”.