National Asset Management Agency Act 2009
Servicing of acquired bank assets by participating institutions.
131.— (1) For the purposes of this section, in the event of a conflict between—
( a) a direction by NAMA, and
( b) a term of an arrangement or agreement to which NAMA or a NAMA group entity is a party in relation to the provision of a relevant service,
then a direction by NAMA, a term of such an arrangement and a term of such an agreement shall have effect in that order of priority.
(2) The participating institution from which NAMA or a NAMA group entity has acquired or intends to acquire a bank asset shall, until NAMA or the NAMA group entity directs otherwise, continue to perform relevant services in respect of the bank asset. NAMA or the NAMA group entity shall reimburse the participating institution in respect of the agreed cost of such service.
(3) NAMA may direct a participating institution to perform a relevant service in connection with a bank asset that NAMA or a NAMA group entity has acquired or intends to acquire from that participating institution or any other participating institution. NAMA or the NAMA group entity shall reimburse the participating institution for the agreed cost of such service.
(4) A direction under subsection (3) —
( a) may require a participating institution to enter into an arrangement or agreement that includes an obligation to provide access for and permit the use by NAMA or a NAMA group entity of facilities, books, records and systems, and
( b) may require a participating institution concerned to provide a relevant service for the benefit of a NAMA group entity.
(5) NAMA may at any time amend, suspend or revoke a direction pursuant to this section.
(6) A participating institution shall—
( a) comply with a direction, and any amendment, suspension or revocation of a direction, pursuant to this section, and
( b) ensure that any subsidiary to which such a direction extends also complies with it.
(7) A participating institution shall ensure that it and each of its subsidiaries—
( a) obtains and maintains in effect any authorisation, consent, approval, resolution, licence, exemption, filing, notarisation or registration required (in the State or in any other place) in connection with the provision of the services required by a direction pursuant to this section, and
( b) complies with the terms and conditions of, and any requirement of or under any law in relation to, any such authorisation, consent, approval, resolution, licence, exemption, filing, notarisation or registration.
(8) NAMA may give a debtor, associated debtor, guarantor or surety in relation to a bank asset in which NAMA or a NAMA group entity has acquired an interest, or any other person, notice of any direction given pursuant to this section. However, NAMA and the NAMA group entity are not liable to any debtor, associated debtor, guarantor or surety or any other person for failure to give such a notice.
(9) Any receivable or other amount received or recovered by a participating institution pursuant to the performance by it of a relevant service shall be held by that participating institution on trust absolutely for and to the order of NAMA or a NAMA group entity, as the case may be, and any amount so held shall be accounted for to NAMA or the NAMA group entity as NAMA from time to time directs. A trust constituted by this subsection—
( a) does not form part of the assets of the participating institution whether for the purposes of laws generally applicable to winding up, reorganisations, liquidations or otherwise,
( b) is effective for all purposes, and
( c) shall not be taken to constitute or create a security.