Consumer Protection Act 2007
Undertakings with the Agency.
73.— (1) In this section “prohibited act or practice” does not include a contravention of section 59(2) (respecting weighing facilities in grocery retail) or section 60(1) (respecting preventing the reading of prices).
(2) If the Agency has reason to believe that a trader—
( a) is committing or engaging in a prohibited act or practice,
( b) is about to commit or engage in a prohibited act or practice, or
( c) has committed or engaged in a prohibited act or practice,
the Agency may accept from the trader a written undertaking that is signed by the trader in the form and which contains the terms and conditions the Agency determines are appropriate in the circumstances.
(3) If the Agency accepts an undertaking from a trader under this section, the Agency shall publish the undertaking, or cause it to be published, in any form or manner the Agency considers appropriate.
(4) Without limiting subsection (2), the undertaking may include one or more of the following terms and conditions:
( a) an undertaking to comply with the provision or provisions concerned of this Act or regulations under this Act;
( b) an undertaking to refrain from committing or engaging in any act or practice;
( c) an undertaking to compensate consumers or a class of consumers, including reimbursing any money or returning any other property or thing received from consumers in connection with a consumer transaction;
( d) an undertaking to publish or cause to be published, at the trader’s expense, an advertisement containing a corrective statement relating to the prohibited act or practice.
(5) If the trader under subsection (2) is a body corporate, the undertaking shall be signed by a director, manager, secretary or other officer of the trader.
(6) The Agency may terminate proceeding against a trader under section 71 (respecting civil relief by way of prohibition orders) on the acceptance of an undertaking from the trader.
(7) Despite subsection (6), the Agency may apply for an order against a trader under section 71 if the trader fails to comply with the terms and conditions of an undertaking under this section.
(8) Subsections (2) to (5) shall, with the following modifications and any other necessary modifications, apply in respect of any trader the Agency has reason to believe is contravening, is about to contravene or has contravened an enactment specified in Schedule 4, namely, the modifications that—
( a) references in those subsections to a prohibited act or practice shall be read as references to a contravention of an enactment specified in that Schedule, and
( b) the reference in subsection (4)(a) to the provision or provisions concerned of this Act or regulations under this Act shall be read as a reference to the provision or provisions concerned of that enactment.
(9) If compensation is paid to a consumer pursuant to an undertaking referred to in subsection (4)(c) and the consumer subsequently commences an action under section 74 and is awarded damages by the court in respect of the same prohibited act or practice, the compensation paid under the undertaking is deemed to be in satisfaction of so much of the awarded damages as is equal to the amount paid to the consumer under that undertaking.
Modifications (not altering text):
Certain functions of National Consumer Agency under section extended to Commission for Communications Regulation (13.06.2014) by Communications Regulation Act 2002 (20/2002), s. 10(1A)-(1E), as inserted by European Union (Consumer Information, Cancellation and Other Rights) Regulations 2013 (S.I. No. 484 of 2013), reg. 34(1)(c), in effect as per reg. 1(2).
Functions of Commission.
[(1A) The functions of the Agency specified in subsection (1B) are (insofar as they relate to the provision of electronic communications networks, electronic communications services, associated facilities and premium rate services) also functions of the Commission, and subsections (1B) to (1E) have effect for the purposes of this subsection.
(1B) The functions of the Agency referred to in subsection (1A) are the functions of the Agency under section 67, section 71, section 73, sections 75 to 77, section 80, sections 83 to 87 and section 90 of the Consumer Protection Act 2007 in relation to the European Communities (Consumer Information, Cancellation and Other Rights) Regulations 2013 ( S.I. No. 484 of 2013).—
(1C) Subsection (1A) operates to vest in the Commission, concurrently with the vesting in the Agency of those functions by the Consumer Protection Act 2007, the functions specified in subsection (1B).
( a) functions so specified are, subject to any relevant co-operation agreement entered into under section 21 of the Consumer Protection Act 2007, capable of being performed by either the Agency or the Commission, and
( b) subject to subsection (1E), references to the Agency in the provisions of the Act specified in subsection (1B) are to be read as including references to the Commission and those provisions otherwise apply.
(1E) Where any section of the Consumer Protection Act 2007 specified in subsection (1B) provides for anything to be done in relation to the Agency (whether the giving of notice to it, the submitting of a thing to it or the doing of any other thing) then, if a co-operation agreement entered into under section 21 of that Act so specifies, it is sufficient compliance with the section concerned if the thing is done in relation to the Agency or the Commission as is specified in that agreement. ]