Sea-Fisheries and Maritime Jurisdiction Act 2006
Registration of sea-fishing boats and miscellaneous offences involving sea-fishing boats
Irish fishing boats registered under Chapter affected (1.07.2007) by Mercantile Marine (Tonnage) Regulations 2007 (S.I. No. 369 of 2007), regs. 4(1) and 13(1), in effect as per reg. 1(2).
Register of Fishing Boats.
74.— (1) The Register of Fishing Boats continues in existence as the Register of Fishing Boats (“Register”) for the purposes of this section and shall continue to be maintained by the Registrar General of Fishing Boats in such form as he or she considers appropriate (including in an electronic or other non-documentary form) and shall be revised or amended as he or she considers necessary from time to time.
(2) There continues to be a registrar of fishing boats known as the Registrar General of Fishing Boats (“Registrar General”).
(3) The Registrar General shall be appointed by the Minister who may remove him or her from office for stated reasons.
(4) The Minister may appoint, and terminate for stated reasons the appointment of, a Deputy Registrar General of Fishing Boats (“Deputy Registrar General”) to act for or perform the functions of the Registrar General during any absence from duty or inability to act of the Registrar General or as the Registrar General may from time to time direct. References in this Chapter to the Registrar General shall be read as including references to the Deputy Registrar General.
(5) The persons who immediately before the passing of this Act hold the position of Registrar General and Deputy Registrar General shall be the first Registrar General and Deputy Registrar General under this section.
(6) There continue to be local registrars of sea-fishing boats for such ports as provided for in the Regulations of 2005 unless otherwise provided for in regulations under section 76 .