Railway Safety Act 2005
Superannuation for staff of Commission.
23.—(1) The Commission shall prepare and submit to the Minister a scheme or schemes for the granting of superannuation benefits to or in respect of such members of the staff of the Commission, including the deputy commissioner, as it may think fit.
(2) Every scheme made under this section shall fix the time and conditions of retirement for all persons to or in respect of whom superannuation benefits are payable under the scheme and different times and conditions may be fixed in respect of different classes of persons.
(3) Every scheme made under subsection (1) may, with the consent of the Minister for Finance, be amended or revoked by a subsequent scheme prepared, submitted and approved under subsection (1) .
(4) A scheme made under subsection (1) submitted by the Commission to the Minister shall, if approved by the Minister with the consent of the Minister for Finance, be carried out by the Commission in accordance with its terms.
(5) No superannuation benefits shall be granted by the Commission nor shall any other arrangements be entered into by the Commission for the provision of such a benefit to or in respect of a member of the staff of the Commission otherwise than in accordance with a scheme under subsection (1) or otherwise as may be approved of by the Minister with the consent of the Minister for Finance.
(6) If any dispute arises as to the claim of any person to, or the amount of, any superannuation benefit payable in pursuance of a scheme or schemes under this section, such dispute shall be submitted to the Minister who shall refer it to the Minister for Finance for determination by him or her.
(7) A scheme under this section shall be laid before each House of the Oireachtas by the Commission as soon as may be after it is made and, if a resolution annulling the scheme is passed by either such House within the next 21 days on which that House has sat after the scheme is laid before it, the scheme shall be annulled accordingly but without prejudice to the validity of anything previously done thereunder.
(8) Superannuation benefits granted under schemes under this section to persons who, immediately before the establishment day, were officers of the Minister and the terms and conditions relating to those benefits shall not be less favourable to those persons than those to which they were entitled immediately before that day.
(9) Where, in the period beginning on the establishment day and ending immediately before the commencement of a scheme under this section, a superannuation benefit falls due for payment to or in respect of a person who was transferred to the staff of the Commission under section 16 , the benefit shall be calculated by the Commission in accordance with such scheme, or such enactments in relation to superannuation, as applied to the person immediately before the establishment day and, for that purpose, his or her pensionable service with the Commission shall be aggregated with his or her previous pensionable service and shall be paid by the Commission.