Veterinary Practice Act 2005
Regulations in relation to programmes of further education.
66.—(1) Whenever the Council considers that standards of knowledge in veterinary medicine or veterinary nursing would be improved by prescribing programmes of further education it shall, with the consent of the Minister, make regulations accordingly.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) the Council shall consider any relevant recommendations furnished to it by the Education Committee under section 63.
(3) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1), regulations made under that subsection may provide for the following—
( a) a requirement to participate in approved programmes of further education,
( b) the qualifications to be awarded, and by whom, on completion of a programme of further education and passing any examination provided for in the programme,
( c) any other matter that the Council considers appropriate.
(4) If the Council considers that it is appropriate to do so, it may prescribe under subsection (1) that it shall be a condition of the registration on the Register, or the Register of Veterinary Nurses (as the case may be) or the continuance of registration on the register concerned, of persons, that they comply with regulations or specified regulations under that subsection.
(5) The Council shall, if so directed by the Minister, amend in such manner as the direction may specify or revoke regulations made under this section, including under this subsection.
(6) ( a) For the purposes of this section, where it proposes to make regulations under this section which would, in the opinion of the Council affect a provider of further education, then paragraphs (a) and (b) of subsection (5) of section 65 and subsections (6) to (10) of that section shall apply as if the reference in the said subsection (5) to improve the standards of veterinary education were a reference to improve programmes of further education and a reference to a provider of education were a reference to a provider of further education and with any further necessary modifications.
( b) Paragraph (a) does not apply in respect of regulations directed by the Minister under subsection (5) to be made.