Garda Síochána Act 2005
19.— (1) F20 [ Subject to subsection (2A) , the Garda Commissioner may appoint ] such numbers of persons as civilian staff of the Garda Síochána F20 [ as may be approved by the Authority with the consent of the Minister and ] the Minister for Finance.
(2) The Garda Commissioner shall determine the grades of civilian staff and the numbers in each grade in the categories of professional, administrative and specialist staff, F20 [ as may be approved by the Authority with the consent of the Minister and ] the Minister for Finance.
F21 [ (2A) The civilian staff of the Garda S í och á na of grades that are equivalent to or above that of chief superintendent in the Garda S í och á na shall be appointed by the Authority. ]
(3) A member of civilian staff of the Garda Síochána is a civil servant of the Government.
(4) F22 [ … ]
(5) Every member of the staff of the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform designated by order of the Minister for the purposes of this section shall, on being so designated, be transferred to and become a member of the civilian staff of the Garda Síochána.
(6) Before making an order for the purpose of subsection (5), the Minister shall—
( a) notify in writing any recognised trade union or staff association concerned of the Minister’s intention to do so, and
( b) consider, within such time as may be specified in the notification, any representations made by that trade union or staff association in relation to the matter.
(7) Schedule 2 has effect in relation to staff transferred under this section.
Substituted (31.05.2016) by Garda Síochána (Policing Authority and Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2015 (49/2015), s. 17(a),(b), S.I. No. 285 of 2015.
Inserted (31.05.2016) by Garda Síochána (Policing Authority and Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2015 (49/2015), s. 17(c), S.I. No. 285 of 2015
Repealed (20.07.2008) by Civil Law (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2008 (14/2008), s. 3(1) and sch. 1 part 1, S.I. No. 274 of 2008.
Power pursuant to subs. (5) exercised (16.10.2006) by Garda Síochána Act 2005 (Section 19(5)) Order 2006 (S.I. No. 620 of 2006).