Garda Síochána Act 2005
Terms and conditions of office.
116.— (1) A member of the Garda Síochána Inspectorate holds office for the period determined by the Government at the time of appointment.
(2) A member is eligible for reappointment.
(3) A member holds office on the terms and conditions relating to remuneration (including allowances for expenses, benefits in kind and superannuation) or other matters that may be determined by the Minister, with the consent of the Minister for Finance, at the time of appointment or reappointment.
(4) A member may at any time resign his or her office by letter addressed to the Minister, and the resignation takes effect on the date of receipt of the letter.
(5) A member may be removed from office by the Government for stated misbehaviour or if, in its opinion, the member has become incapable through ill-health of effectively performing the duties of the office.
(6) Whenever a vacancy occurs in the membership of the Inspectorate caused by the resignation, removal from office or death of a member, the vacancy is to be filled by appointment in accordance with section 115 .
(7) A member who is appointed to fill any such vacancy holds office for the remainder of the term of office of the replaced member.
(8) The Inspectorate may act notwithstanding any such vacancy or any resulting non-compliance with section 115(3) .