Employment Equality Act 1998
Offences: general provisions.
100.— (1) A person who is guilty of an offence under any provision of this Act shall be liable—
( a) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £1,500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 1 year or both, or
( b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine not exceeding £25,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years or both.
(2) If the contravention in respect of which a person is convicted of an offence under any provision of this Act is continued after the conviction, that person shall be guilty of a further offence on every day on which the contravention continues and for each such offence shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £250 or, on conviction on indictment, to a fine not exceeding £1,500.
(3) Summary proceedings for an offence under any provision of this Act may be instituted by the F177 [ Workplace Relations Commission ] or the Authority.
(4) Notwithstanding section 10(4) of the Petty Sessions (Ireland) Act, 1851, summary proceedings for an offence under any provision of this Act may be instituted within 12 months from the date of the offence.
(5) Where an offence under any provision of this Act which is committed by a body corporate is proved to have been committed with the consent or connivance of, or to be attributable to any neglect on the part of, any person who, when the offence was committed, was a director, manager, secretary or other similar officer of the body corporate or a person who was purporting to act in any such capacity, that person (as well as the body corporate) shall be guilty of an offence and liable to be proceeded against and punished as if guilty of the offence committed by the body corporate.
(6) In relation to a body corporate whose affairs are managed by its members, subsection (5) has effect as if “ director” included a member of the body corporate.
Substituted (1.10.2015) by Workplace Relations Commission Act 2015 (16/2015), s. 83(1)(l), S.I. No. 410 of 2015, subject to transitional provision in subs. (2).
Modifications (not altering text):
Functions transferred and “Minister for Justice and Equality” and “Department of Justice and Equality” construed (1.01.2013) by Equality Tribunal (Transfer of Departmental Administration and Ministerial Functions) Order 2012 (S.I. No. 531 of 2012), arts. 2, 3(1)(a), 3(2), commenced as per art. 1(2).
2.—(1) The administration and business in connection with the exercise, performance or execution of any functions transferred by Article 3 are transferred to the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation.
(2) References to the Department of Justice and Equality contained in any Act or any instrument made under such Act and relating to any administration and business transferred by paragraph (1) shall, from the commencement of this Order, be construed as references to the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation.
3.—(1) The functions vested in the Minister for Justice and Equality by or under—
(a) sections 75, 76, 79, 94 and 100 of the Employment Equality Act 1998 (No. 21 of 1998),
are transferred to the Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation.
(2) References to the Minister for Justice and Equality contained in any Act or instrument made under such Act and relating to any functions transferred by this Article shall, from the commencement of this Order, be construed as references to the Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation.
Application of section extended with modifications by Pensions Act 1990 (25/1990), s. 81J and sch. 4, as inserted (5.04.2004) by Social Welfare (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2004 (9/2004), s. 22, S.I. No. 141 of 2004, as amended (18.07.2004) by Equality Act 2004 24/2004), s. 66(3)(e), commenced on enactment.
Application of Employment Equality Act 1998.
81J.—(1) In this section ‘the Act of 1998’ means the Employment Equality Act 1998.
(2) Sections 74, [76, 77A], 78 to 81, 83 to 85 and 86 to 104 of the Act of 1998 shall, where appropriate, apply in relation to this Part as they apply in relation to that Act but with the following modifications.
(3) Those modifications are that for the words set out in column (3) of the Fourth Schedule at a particular reference number, being words appearing in a section or sections of the Act of 1998 specified in column (2) of that Schedule at that reference number, there shall be substituted in the place or, as the case may be, each place where those words occur in that section or sections the words set out in column (4) of that Schedule at that reference number.