Regional Technical Colleges Act 1992
F23 [ Functions of governing bodies.
7. — (1) The functions of the governing body of a college shall be, in pursuance of the functions of the college under section 5 but within the constraints of the college ’ s budget under section 13 —
( a ) to control and administer the land and other property of the college,
( b ) to appoint the Director and such other staff as it thinks necessary for the purposes of the college, and
( c ) to perform such other functions as are conferred on it by this or any other Act.
(2) For the purpose of the appointment of the Director under subsection (1) ( b ), the governing body shall develop such interview and other procedures as in its opinion will best ensure participation in the selection process by candidates of a high calibre from both within and outside of the college and shall publish such procedures in such manner as it considers appropriate.
(3) A governing body has, subject to this or any other Act, such powers as are necessary for the purposes of performing its functions.
(4) A governing body may, from time to time, appoint such and as many committees, consisting either wholly or partly of members of the governing body, as it thinks necessary to assist it in the performance of its functions and may assign to those committees such of its functions as it thinks fit.
(5) A committee appointed under subsection (4) shall operate in such manner as the governing body may direct and its acts shall be subject to confirmation by the governing body, unless the governing body otherwise directs.
(6) In performing its functions a governing body, or, where appropriate, a committee shall —
( a ) comply with such policy directions as may be issued by the Minister from time to time, including directions relating to the levels and range of programmes offered by the college,
( b ) have regard to the promotion and use of the Irish language as a language of general communication and promote the cultivation of the Irish language and its associated literary and cultural traditions,
( c ) have regard to the attainment of gender balance and equality of opportunity among the students and staff of the college and shall, in particular, promote access to education in the college by economically or socially disadvantaged persons, by persons who have a disability and by persons from sections of society significantly under-represented in the student body,
( d ) ensure as far as it can that the college contributes to the promotion of the economic, cultural and social development of the State and to respect for the diversity of values, beliefs and traditions in Irish society, and
( e ) have regard to the statutory responsibilities of other education providers. ]
Substituted (1.02.2007) by Institutes of Technology Act 2006 (25/2006), s. 8, S.I. No. 36 of 2007.
Deleted by Technological Universities Act 2018 (3/2018), s. 84, not commenced as of date of revision.
Modifications (not altering text):
Prospective affecting provision: subss. (4) and (5) deleted by Technological Universities Act 2018 (3/2018), s. 84, not commenced as of date of revision.
(4) F24 [ … ]
(5) F24 [ … ]