Transport Act 1958
Termination of train services.
19.— (1) The Board may, subject to the provisions of this section, terminate any service of trains for passengers and merchandise or either of them.
(2) The Board shall not terminate a service unless it is satisfied that its operation is uneconomic and that there is no prospect of its continued operation being economic within a reasonable period.
(3) The Board shall not terminate a service or close a railway station to any or all classes of traffic unless, at least two months before doing so, the Board has published, in Iris Oifigiúil and in such newspapers circulating in the area affected by the proposal as the Board thinks proper, notice of its intention to do so.
(4) The notice shall indicate the new or additional road transport services, if any, which the Board proposes to provide in the area.
(5) If the Board does not propose to provide an alternative road transport service the notice shall state that applications for passenger licences under the Road Transport Act, 1932, or merchandise licences under the Road Transport Act, 1933, or both, as may be appropriate, may be made by persons desiring to provide alternative road services.
(6) Where the Board does not propose to provide alternative road services the Board shall make available at some railway station in the affected area to persons interested in the provision of alternative road services particulars of the traffic carried by the train service which it is proposed to terminate, or despatched from or received at the station which it is proposed to close as aforesaid, during the period of the latest twelve months for which such particulars are available. The notice shall indicate that such particulars will be made available at some specified station.
Modifications (not altering text):
Application of section extended (19.07.1966) by Transport Act 1966 (26/1966), s. 2, commenced on enactment.
Termination of train services on railway lines of company
2.— Section 19 of the Transport Act, 1958, which provides for the termination of train services, shall apply and have effect in relation to any service of trains for passengers and merchandise or either of them provided by the Board on a railway line of the Company.