Firearms Act 1925
Restriction on export or removal of firearms or ammunition.
16.— (1) It shall not be lawful for any person to consign—
( a) for export from Saorstát Eireann, or
( b) for removal from one place in Saorstát Eireann to another such place,
any firearm or ammunition, unless such export or removal is authorised in writing by the superintendent of the Gárda Síochána of the district from which such firearm or ammunition is consigned for export or removal.
(2) Every person who consigns for export or removal as aforesaid any firearm or ammunition contrary to the provisions of this section shall be guilty of an offence under this Act and shall be punishable accordingly.
(3) Upon the conviction of any person of the offence of contravening the provisions of this section, the court may, where the person so convicted is the owner of any firearm or ammunition the subject of such offence, in addition to any other punishment awarded under this Act, make such order as to the forfeiture of such firearm or ammunition as the court thinks fit.
(4) The offence of contravening the provisions of this section shall not be deemed to have been committed by the holder of a firearm certificate carrying with him from or in Saorstát Eireann F67 [ or consigning for export ] the firearm or any ammunition authorised by such certificate to be carried by the holder thereof.
(5) This section shall not apply to any consignment of any firearm or ammunition belonging to or purchased or intended for the use of the Defence Forces of Saorstát Eireann or any lawful police force in Saorstát Eireann.
Inserted (28.01.1964) by Firearms Act 1964 (1/1964), s. 20, commenced on enactment.
Modifications (not altering text):
Definition of firearm certificate extended (14.07.2000) by Firearms (Firearm Certificate for Non-Residents) Act 2000 (20/2000), s. 2(15), commenced as per s. 8(3).
(15) References to a firearm certificate in sections 2, 10, 16, 22 and 23 of the Principal Act shall include references to a firearm certificate granted under this Act.