Industrial Relations Act 1969
Superannuation for chairman and ordinary members of the Court.
5.—F9[(1) The Minister may, with the consent of the Minister for Finance, make a scheme or schemes for the granting of pensions, gratuities and other allowances on cessation of office or death to or in respect of the chairman, a deputy chairman (whether appointed under section 4 (1) or 4 (4) of this Act or under section 8 (3) of the Industrial Relations Act, 1976) who is required by the Minister to devote the whole of his working time to the duties of the office of deputy chairman, and the ordinary members of the Court.]
(2) The Minister may, with the consent of the Minister for Finance, at any time amend a scheme made by him under this section.
(3) A scheme made by the Minister under this section shall be carried out by the Minister in accordance with its terms.
(4) If any dispute arises as to the claim of any person to, or the amount of, any pension, gratuity or allowance payable in pursuance of a scheme under this section, such dispute shall be submitted to the Minister who shall refer it to the Minister for Finance, whose decision shall be final.
(5) Every scheme made by the Minister under this section shall be laid before each House of the Oireachtas as soon as may be after it is made and if either House, within the next twenty-one days on which that House has sat after the scheme is laid before it, passes a resolution annulling the scheme, the scheme shall be annulled accordingly, but without prejudice to the validity of anything previously done thereunder.
(6) The Minister shall grant and pay to Cathal O'Shannon, upon his retirement without re-appointment from membership of the Labour Court, a pension for his life of one thousand, one hundred and twenty-five pounds per annum and a gratuity of one thousand, six hundred and eighty-eight pounds.
(7) The Minister shall grant and pay to Ernest Edmonson Benson, upon his retirement without re-appointment from membership of the Labour Court, a gratuity of three thousand pounds.
F10[(8) The Minister shall grant and pay to Joseph Stapleton Quigley, upon his retirement without re-appointment from membership of the Court, a gratuity of an amount equal to one year’s salary at the date of his retirement.]
Substituted (18.07.1990) by Industrial Relations Act 1990 (19/1990), s. 40, commenced on enactment.
Substituted (18.05.1976) by Industrial Relations Act 1976 (15/1976), s. 10, commenced on enactment.
Modifications (not altering text):
Functions transferred and references to Minister for Finance construed as Minister for Public Service (1.11.1973) by Public Service (Transfer of Departmental Administration and Ministerial Functions) Order 1973 (S.I. No. 294 of 1973), arts. 3, 4(1)(n), in effect as per art. 1(2), subject to transitional provisions in arts. 6-8. The Minister for the Public Service was most recently renamed as the Minister for Transport (17.09.2020) by Transport, Tourism and Sport (Alteration of Name of Department and Title of Minister) Order 2020 (S.I. No. 351 of 2020), in effect as per art. 1(2).
3. (1) The administration and business in connection with the exercise, performance or execution of—
( a ) any functions transferred by Article 4 of this Order,
(2) References to the Department of Finance contained in any Act or instrument made thereunder and relating to any administration and business transferred by paragraph (1) of this Article shall, on and after the operative date, be construed as references to the Department of the Public Service.
4. (1) The functions vested in the Minister for Finance by or under the following enactments are hereby transferred to the Minister for the Public Service:
( n ) Industrial Relations Acts, 1946 and 1969,
Power pursuant to s. 5(2) exercised (1.04.1982) by Labour Court (Members) Superannuation Scheme (Amendment) Scheme 1983 (S.I. No. 216 of 1983).
Power pursuant to s. 5(2) exercised (31.07.1979) by Labour Court (Members) Superannuation Scheme (Amendment) Scheme 1979 (S.I. No. 268 of 1979).