Workplace Relations Act 2015
Director General of Workplace Relations Commission
12. (1) There shall be a chief executive officer of the Commission (in this Act referred to as the “Director General”).
(2) The Director General (other than the Director General first appointed after the commencement of this section or a Director General appointed under subsection (5) ) shall be appointed by the Minister from among persons in respect of whom a recommendation for the purposes of this section has been made by the Public Appointments Service consequent upon the holding of a competition in accordance with the Act of 2004.
(3) The Public Appointments Service shall, in relation to a competition referred to in subsection (2), not make a recommendation for the purposes of that subsection in respect of more than 3 persons.
(4) The Director General shall hold office for such period not exceeding 5 years from the date of his or her appointment as the Minister may determine.
(5) The Minister may reappoint a person whose term of office as Director General expires by the efflux of time to be the Director General.
(6) A person who is reappointed to be the Director General in accordance with subsection (5) shall not hold office for periods the aggregate of which exceeds 10 years.
(7) The Director General shall hold office upon and subject to such terms and conditions (including terms and conditions relating to remuneration, allowances and superannuation) as may be determined by the Minister with the consent of the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform.
(8) The Director General shall not hold any other office or employment or carry on any business without the consent of the Minister.
Power pursuant to subs. (7) exercised (1.12.2016) by Workplace Relations Commission Director General Superannuation Scheme 2016 (S.I. No. 595 of 2016), in effect as per art. 1(2).