Companies Act 2014
Change of name
30. (1) A company may, by special resolution and with the approval of the Registrar, signified in writing, change its name.
(2) Subsection (3) applies if, through inadvertence or otherwise, a company is registered by a name (whether on its first registration, or on its registration by a new name) which, in the opinion of the Registrar, is too like the name by which a company in existence is already registered.
(3) Where this subsection applies the first-mentioned company in subsection (2)—
(a) with the approval of the Registrar — may change its name; or
(b) if, within 6 months after the date of its being registered by the first-mentioned name in subsection (2), the Registrar directs it to do so — shall change its name.
(4) A direction under subsection (3)(b) shall be complied with within a period of 6 weeks after the date of its being given or such longer period as the Registrar may think fit to allow.
(5) Where a company changes its name under this section, the Registrar shall enter the new name in the register in place of the former name, and shall issue a certificate of incorporation altered to meet the circumstances of the case.
(6) A change of name by a company under this section shall not affect any rights or obligations of the company, or render defective any legal proceedings by or against the company, and any legal proceedings which might have been continued or commenced against it by its former name may be continued or commenced against it by its new name.
(7) A company which was registered by a name specified by statute, may, notwithstanding anything contained in that statute, change its name in accordance with subsection (1), but, if the Registrar is of the opinion that any Minister of the Government is concerned in the administration of the statute which specified the name of the company, the Registrar shall not approve of the change of name save after consultation with that Minister of the Government.
(8) If a company fails to comply with a direction under subsection (3)(b) within the period provided under subsection (4), the company and any officer of it who is in default shall be guilty of a category 4 offence.