Education and Training Boards Act 2013
Joint performance of functions of education and training boards.
21.— (1) Any 2 or more education and training boards may, with the consent of the Minister, make arrangements for the joint performance by them of any of their functions, and if any question arises in relation to such an arrangement the question shall be referred by the education and training boards concerned to the Minister whose decision thereon shall be final.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1) an arrangement to which that subsection applies may relate to the joint acquisition, holding, and disposal of land, or any interest in land, by 2 or more education and training boards.
(3) The Minister may, if of the opinion that 2 or more education and training boards would more effectively perform any function if they were to perform it jointly with one another, direct that they so do, subject to such terms as may be specified in the direction.
(4) Before giving a direction under subsection (3), the Minister shall by notice in writing inform each of the education and training boards concerned that he or she proposes to give such direction.
(5) A notice under subsection (4) shall—
( a) specify the Minister’s reasons for proposing to give a direction under this section,
( b) specify the terms of the direction that he or she proposes to give, and
( c) invite the education and training boards concerned to make, not later than 14 days from the date of the service of the notice, representations in writing to the Minister in relation to the proposed direction.
(6) The Minister shall, in deciding whether or not to give a direction under this section, take into account any representations made under subsection (5).
(7) Where the Minister gives a direction to 2 or more education and training boards under this section, the Minister may request Education and Training Boards Ireland to give such assistance, the nature and form or which shall be stated in the direction, to those boards as he or she considers necessary for the effective implementation of that direction.
(8) An education and training board shall comply with a direction given to it under this section.