National Vetting Bureau (Children and Vulnerable Persons) Act 2012
Appointment of Chief Bureau Officer and delegation of functions of Chief Bureau Officer.
22.— (1) The Chief Bureau Officer shall be appointed by the Garda Commissioner.
(2) The Chief Bureau Officer shall periodically report directly to the Garda Commissioner in relation to the performance and management of the functions of the Bureau.
(3) The Chief Bureau Officer may delegate in writing any of his or her functions under this Act (other than this section) to a member of the staff of the Bureau specified by rank or name.
(4) A delegation under subsection (3) may—
( a) relate to the performance of a function either generally or in a particular case or class of case or in respect of a particular matter,
( b) be made subject to conditions or restrictions, and
( c) be revoked or varied by the Chief Bureau Officer at any time.
(5) The delegation of a function under subsection (3) shall not preclude the Chief Bureau Officer from performing the function.
(6) Where the functions of the Chief Bureau Officer under a provision of this Act are delegated to a member of the staff of the Bureau, any references in that provision to the Chief Bureau Officer shall be construed as references to that member of staff.
(7) An act or thing done by a member of the staff of the Bureau pursuant to a delegation under this section has the same force and effect as if done by the Chief Bureau Officer.