Student Support Act 2011
Application for and award of grant.
18.— (1) An applicant shall apply to an awarding authority for a grant.
(2) An applicant may not apply for, or receive more than one grant at any one time.
(3) An applicant shall furnish an awarding authority with the personal, family, financial and other information that the authority may seek in relation to the applicant, the applicant’s spouse, civil partner or cohabitant, each parent of the applicant, and any dependent child and shall produce evidence, in such form as may be prescribed, to verify the information, in order that the authority may determine whether or not the applicant is eligible to receive a grant.
(4) An awarding authority shall determine whether an applicant is eligible to receive a grant, having regard to—
( a) information furnished by the applicant pursuant to this section,
( b) any other information in relation to the application, as appropriate, and
( c) such criteria as are specified in the relevant scheme of grants.
(5) An awarding authority shall make a grant to an applicant in respect of whom it has determined that he or she is eligible for the grant of such moneys and in respect of such a period of time as may be specified in the relevant scheme.
(6) Where the awarding authority determines—
( a) that the applicant is eligible for the grant for which he or she has applied, it shall give notice in writing informing the applicant of the determination and arrange to pay the grant, or
( b) that the applicant is not eligible for the grant for which he or she has applied, it shall give notice in writing to the applicant of the determination and the reasons therefor and of the applicant’s right to appeal the determination to an appeals officer.