Road Transport Act 2011
Obligation to carry copy of operator’s licence etc. and display transport disc on vehicle.
11.— (1) Where a vehicle is about to be used for the purposes of the road transport business of an operator under an operator’s licence or a Community licence, the operator shall give to the person who is to act as driver of the vehicle while it is being so used a true copy of the licence or a certified copy of a Community licence, as the case may be, showing the vehicle to be authorised, and where appropriate a driver attestation, and those documents shall be kept in the vehicle.
(2) An operator who fails to comply with subsection (1) commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a class B fine.
(3) A member of the Garda Síochána or a transport officer may demand of any person driving a vehicle which the member or transport officer believes to be engaging in road transport operations the production for inspection of a copy of the operator’s licence or a certified copy of a Community licence showing the vehicle to be authorised and, where appropriate, a driver attestation.
(4) A person who refuses or fails to produce a copy of the licence or other document referred to in subsection (3) there and then, or though producing a copy of the licence or other document, refuses or fails to permit such member or officer to read it, commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a class B fine.
(5) A transport disc shall be displayed on or affixed to the vehicle to which it relates in a visual manner so that it may be inspected by a transport officer or member of the Garda Síochána.
(6) Where a transport disc is not displayed on or affixed to the vehicle to which it relates in accordance with subsection (5), the driver of the vehicle and the holder of the disc each commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a class B fine.