Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) Act 2010
Direction not to carry out business other than as directed.
98.— (1) If the Minister reasonably believes that there may be grounds for revoking an authorisation under section 97 , the Minister may serve on the holder of the authorisation a direction in writing prohibiting the holder from carrying on business as a trust or company service provider other than in accordance with conditions specified by the Minister.
(2) The Minister shall include in a direction under this section a statement—
( a) setting out F95 [ the reasons ] for giving the direction,
( b) informing the holder of the authorisation concerned that—
(i) the holder may appeal to an Appeal Tribunal against the direction, and
(ii) if the holder proposes to appeal to an Appeal Tribunal against the direction, the holder may, within one month after being served with the direction, serve a notice of intention to appeal on the Minister in the form provided or specified by the Minister,
( c) specifying the conditions with which the holder of the authorisation is required to comply.
(3) The Minister may, by notice in writing served on the holder of the authorisation concerned, amend or revoke a direction given under this section.
(4) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (3) , the Minister may, by notice in writing given to the holder of the authorisation concerned, extend the period during which a direction remains in force by a further period or periods not exceeding 6 months.
(5) A direction under this section takes effect from the date on which it is given or, if a later date is specified in the direction, from that date, whether or not an appeal against the direction is made under section 100 .
(6) A direction under this section ceases to have effect—
( a) at the end of the period, not exceeding 6 months, specified in the direction, or if the period is extended under subsection (4), at the end of the extended period, or
( b) on the revocation of the holder’s authorisation under this Chapter,
whichever occurs first.
(7) A person who contravenes a direction given under this section, or fails to comply with a condition contained in the direction, commits an offence.
(8) A person who commits an offence under this section is liable—
( a) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding €5,000, or
( b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years (or both).
Substituted (3.03.2014) by Criminal Justice Act 2013 (19/2013), s. 16(a), S.I. No. 80 of 2014.