National Asset Management Agency Act 2009
Designation of Eligible Bank Assets
Eligible bank assets.
69.— (1) The Minister may, after consultation with F15 [ NAMA and the Governor ], and considering the purposes of NAMA and the resources available to the Minister, prescribe, by regulation, classes of bank asset as classes of eligible bank asset.
(2) The classes of bank assets prescribed under subsection (1) may include—
( a) credit facilities issued, created or otherwise provided by a participating institution—
(i) for the purpose, whether direct or indirect and whether in whole or in part, of purchasing, exploiting or developing development land,
(ii) where the security connected with the credit facility is or includes development land,
(iii) where the security connected with the credit facility is or includes an interest in a company engaged in purchasing, exploiting or developing development land,
(iv) where the credit facility is directly or indirectly guaranteed by a company referred to in subparagraph (iii),
(v) directly or indirectly to a debtor who has provided security referred to in subparagraph (ii) or (iii) , or
(vi) directly or indirectly to a person who is an associated debtor of a debtor to whom a credit facility described in any of subparagraphs (i) to (iii) has been provided,
( b) credit facilities and classes of credit facilities (other than credit facilities referred to in paragraph (a) ) relating to debtors or associated debtors of participating institutions (or classes of debtors or associated debtors of participating institutions) where the total amount of indebtedness in respect of such facilities is such that, in the opinion of the Minister, acquisition by NAMA is necessary for the purposes of this Act,
( c) other rights arising directly or indirectly in connection with a credit facility described in paragraph (a) or (b) including—
(i) a contract to which the participating institution is a party or in which it has an interest,
(ii) a benefit to which the participating institution is entitled, and
(iii) any other asset in which the participating institution has an interest,
( d) bank assets associated with bank assets specified in paragraphs (a) and (b) , and
( e) any other class of bank asset of a participating institution the acquisition of which the Minister is of opinion, after consultation with the Commission of the European Communities, is necessary for the purposes of this Act.
(3) In forming an opinion for the purpose of subsection (2) (b) , the Minister may take into account—
( a) the total number of credit facilities or classes of credit facilities provided by the participating institution to those debtors and associated debtors or classes of debtors and associated debtors, and
( b) the aggregate indebtedness of debtors and associated debtors or classes of debtors or associated debtors referred to in subsection (2) (b) owed to any other participating institution.
(4) A bank asset that is in a class prescribed under subsection (1) is referred to in this Act as an “eligible bank asset”.
(5) A class of bank asset prescribed under subsection (1) shall be taken not to include a credit facility that entered a participating institution’s balance sheet after 31 December 2008. For the avoidance of doubt, where a credit facility entered a participating institution’s balance sheet on or before 31 December 2008, but security was taken for the credit facility after that date, and the credit facility is otherwise an eligible bank asset, the credit facility is an eligible bank asset.
(6) Notwithstanding subsection (5) , a bank asset in a prescribed class is an eligible bank asset if, in the opinion of NAMA, the related credit facility entered a participating institution’s balance sheet on or before that date even if renegotiated or refinanced after that date. For the purposes of determining whether a credit facility entered a participating institution’s balance sheet on or before 31 December 2008, NAMA may take into account the terms of any renegotiation, restructuring or refinancing of a credit facility effected after 31 December 2008.
Substituted (1.10.2010) by Central Bank Reform Act 2010 (23/2010), s. 15(11) and sch. 2 part 11 item 9, S.I. No. 469 of 2010.
Power pursuant to section exercised (23.12.2009) by National Asset Management Agency (Designation of Eligible Bank Assets) Regulations 2009 (S.I. No. 568 of 2009).