Building Control Act 2007
Technical Assessment Board procedure ( Part 5).
50.— (1) Each of the following may apply to the Technical Assessment Board for a decision that he or she is eligible to be registered in the register pursuant to this section:
( a) a person who—
(i) on 1 May 1999 was a non-corporate member of the Chartered Institute of Building, the Architecture and Surveying Institute (now merged with the Chartered Institute of Building) or the Association of Building Engineers, and
(ii) has been performing duties commensurate with those of a building surveyor for a period of 8 or more years in the State (but no period of such performance that occurs on or after the commencement of this section shall be reckoned for the purposes of this subparagraph);
( b) a person who has been performing duties commensurate with those of a building surveyor for a period of 10 or more years in the State (but no period of such performance that occurs on or after the commencement of this section shall be reckoned for the purposes of this paragraph).
(2) A person who makes an application under this section shall submit the following to the Technical Assessment Board:
( a) a curriculum vitae providing details of the work carried out by the applicant in the field of building surveying during the period referred to in paragraph (a)(ii) or, as the case may be, paragraph (b) of subsection (1); and
( b) such independent verification, as the Technical Assessment Board may require, of the documentation so submitted.
(3) The Technical Assessment Board may request additional information to be submitted by the applicant within a specified period and may require the applicant to appear for an interview if it considers it necessary.
(4) Where an interview is required, at least 4 members of the Technical Assessment Board shall be present for the interview.
(5) The interview shall be recorded in writing or in such other form as the Technical Assessment Board may decide, and additional information may, subsequent to the interview, be required to be submitted by the applicant to those who conducted the interview.
(6) An applicant may be accompanied at the interview by a professional advisor, including a lawyer, but any expense incurred by the applicant in being so accompanied shall be borne by the applicant.
(7) Where the Technical Assessment Board decides—
( a) that the applicant is eligible for registration in the register pursuant to this section, the chairperson shall advise the Admissions Board which shall take the necessary steps to register the applicant on payment of any applicable registration fee, or
( b) that the applicant is not eligible for registration in the register pursuant to this section, the chairperson shall immediately send a notice in writing to the applicant, by prepaid registered post to the address of the applicant as furnished in his or her application, advising the applicant of the decision, the date on which it was made and the reasons for it.