Garda Síochána Act 2005
Code of ethics.
F19 [ 17. (1) The Authority shall, within 12 months of the establishment day of the Authority, establish a code of ethics that includes —
(a) standards of conduct and practice for members, and
(b) provisions to encourage and facilitate the reporting by members of wrongdoing in the Garda S í och á na.
(2) The Authority shall, before establishing a code of ethics under this section, consult with the following about the content of the code:
(a) the Minister;
(b) the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform;
(c) the Garda Commissioner;
(d) the representative associations established under section 18 of this Act or section 13 of the Garda S í och á na Act 1924 ;
(e) any recognised trade union or staff association representing members of the civilian staff of the Garda S í och á na;
(f) the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission;
(g) the Standards in Public Office Commission;
(h) the Ombudsman Commission;
(i) any other person or body appearing to the Authority to have an interest in the matter.
(3) In preparing a code of ethics under this section, the Authority shall have regard to —
(a) the policing principles,
(b) the standards, practices and procedures applicable to the conduct of police officers in other Member States of the European Union, and
(c) any relevant recommendations of the Council of Europe.
(4) A code of ethics, or specified provisions of such a code, established under this section may apply with such modifications as may be specified therein to members of the civilian staff of the Garda S í och á na.
(5) The Authority may, in like manner to the establishment of a code of ethics under this section, amend or revoke such a code.
(6) Whenever the Authority establishes, amends or revokes a code of ethics under this section, the Authority shall provide the Minister with a copy of the code as so established, amended or revoked and the Minister shall cause a copy of it to be laid before each House of the Oireachtas as soon as practicable after he or she receives it.
(7) The Authority shall publish a code of ethics established under this section in such manner as it considers appropriate.
(8) The Garda Commissioner shall take such steps as are necessary to ensure that all members have read and understood a code of ethics established under this section and that a record is kept of the steps so taken in relation to each member. ]
Substituted (31.05.2016) by Garda Síochána (Policing Authority and Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2015 (49/2015), s. 16, S.I. No. 612 of 2015.
Previous affecting provision: references to “Human Rights Commission” construed (1.11.2014) by Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission Act 2014 (25/2014), s. 44(2), S.I. No. 449 of 2014; substituted as per F-note above.