Education for Persons with Special Educational Needs Act 2004
22.—(1) There shall be, for the purpose mentioned in subsection (2) , a consultative forum, that is to say, a group of persons who shall be appointed in accordance with subsections (3) and (5) and who, as a collective body, are referred to subsequently in this section and in section 23 as the “consultative forum”.
(2) The purpose referred to in subsection (1) is the purpose of the Council's consulting the consultative forum with respect to the performance by the Council of one or more functions, or elements of one or more functions, determined by the Council, from time to time, to be functions or elements of functions appropriate for such consultation to take place in relation to them.
(3) Such number of persons (not exceeding 17) as the Council considers appropriate shall be appointed by the Council to be members of the consultative forum and the Council shall ensure, as far as practicable, that at least 7 of the members so appointed are women and at least 7 of them are men.
(4) Before appointing persons to be members of the consultative forum the Council shall consult with—
( a) the Minister,
( b) national associations of parents,
( c) voluntary bodies whose objects relate to the promotion of the interests of, or the provision of support services to, persons with disabilities,
( d) recognised school management organisations,
( e) recognised trade unions and staff associations representing teachers and principals of schools,
( f) the National Disability Authority,
( g) the Psychological Society of Ireland, and
( h) such other persons having a special interest in or knowledge relating to the education of children with disabilities as the Council considers appropriate.
(5) Such number of persons (not exceeding 3) as the Minister considers appropriate shall be appointed by the Minister to be members of the consultative forum and, as far as practicable, at least one of the members so appointed shall be a woman and at least one of them shall be a man.
(6) The Council and the Minister shall have regard to the desirability of there being amongst those appointed under this section as members of the consultative forum persons who themselves have special educational needs, their parents and representatives.
(7) The term of office of each member of the consultative forum shall be determined by the Council with the consent of the Minister.
(8) The members of the consultative forum may be paid such allowances (if any) for expenses incurred by them in the discharge of their functions as may be determined by the Minister with the consent of the Minister for Finance.