Civil Registration Act 2004
9.—(1) There shall stand established the office of an tArd-Chláraitheoir Cúnta an tSeirbhís um Chlárú Sibhialta and the person holding the office is referred to in this Act as an tArd-Chláraitheoir Cúnta.
(2) An tArd-Chláraitheoir Cúnta shall be a person appointed to that office by the Minister from among his or her officers.
(3) An tArd-Chláraitheoir Cúnta shall be a civil servant.
(4) Subject to subsection (5), an tArd-Chláraitheoir Cúnta shall have and may perform such functions as may be determined by the Minister from time to time and shall be subject to the general control and supervision of an tArd-Chláraitheoir.
(5) During a period of absence or incapacity of an tArd-Chláraitheoir or when there is a vacancy in that office, an tArd-Chláraitheoir Cúnta shall have and may perform all the functions of an tArd-Chláraitheoir.
(6) A person appointed to be an tArd-Chláraitheoir Cúnta shall hold office for a period of F43 [ 3 ] years but the Minister may, if he or she thinks fit, continue the appointment (including an appointment previously continued under this section) for such further period not exceeding F43 [ 3 ] years as he or she considers appropriate.
(7) A person appointed to be an tArd-Chláraitheoir Cúnta shall, subject to subsections (6) and (9), hold office on such terms and conditions as may be determined by the Minister after consultation with the Minister for Finance at the time of the appointment.
F44 [ (7A) A person appointed to be an tArd-Chl á raitheoir C ú nta may at any time resign his or her office by letter addressed to the Minister and the resignation shall take effect on and from the date of receipt of the letter. ]
(8) ( a) The Minister may remove an tArd-Chláraitheoir Cúnta from office at any time if, in the opinion of the Minister, an tArd-Chláraitheoir Cúnta is incapable by reason of ill-health of performing his or her functions or has committed stated misbehaviour or his or her removal from office appears to the Minister to be necessary for the effective performance of the functions of the office.
( b) If an tArd-Chláraitheoir Cúnta is removed from office under this subsection, the Minister shall cause to be laid before each House of the Oireachtas a statement of the reasons for the removal.
(9) If, immediately before the commencement of this section, a person stands appointed under section 10 of the Act of 1863 as assistant to an tArd-Chláraitheoir, he or she shall upon, such commencement, stand appointed to the office of an tArd-Chláraitheoir Cúnta and shall hold that office upon terms and conditions equivalent to those upon which he or she held the office of such assistant and subsections (6) and (7) shall not apply to him or her.