Civil Registration Act 2004
73.—(1) In this section, vital statistics means statistics in relation to—
( a) births,
( b) stillbirths,
( c) deaths,
( d) marriages,
F262 [ ( dd ) civil partnerships, ]
( e) decrees of divorce,
F263 [ ( f ) decrees of nullity F262 [ of marriage ] , or
F262 [ ( ff ) decrees of dissolution,
( fff ) decrees of nullity of civil partnership, ]
( g ) any other prescribed matters. ]
( h) F264 [ … ]
(2) The Minister may collect, compile, abstract and publish vital statistics.
(3) The Minister may by regulations provide for giving effect to this section and the regulations may, in particular, include—
( a) in the case of any birth, stillbirth, death, marriage, F265 [ decree of divorce or decree of nullity ] F262 [ of marriage, civil partnership, decree of dissolution, decree of nullity of civil partnership, ], provisions requiring that specified information relating to the birth, stillbirth, death, marriage, F265 [ decree of divorce or decree of nullity ] F262 [ of marriage, civil partnership, decree of dissolution, decree of nullity of civil partnership, ] shall be furnished to the registrar concerned within a specified period,
( b) in the case of any other matter the subject of vital statistics, provision that specified information relating to the matter be furnished to a specified person within a specified period,
( c) provision for the recording of information received pursuant to the regulations and its transmission to the Minister or any other specified person.
(4) A person engaged in receiving information furnished pursuant to regulations under this section or in the collection, compilation, abstraction or publication of vital statistics shall not disclose any such information in a form that identifies, or enables the identification of, a person to whom it relates unless the disclosure is to another person so engaged or a necessary for the purposes of a prosecution under this Act.
(5) Information referred to in subsection (4) may be disclosed to persons engaged in medical or social research or to F266 [ medical practitioners employed by the Executive ] if the Minister consents in writing to the disclosure and the disclosure complies with such conditions (if any) as are attached to the consent; and the Minister is hereby authorised to attach such conditions as he or she considers appropriate to a consent under this subsection.
(6) In lieu of acting by his or her own officers for the purposes of this section and the regulations thereunder, the Minister may arrange with any other Minister of the Government—
( a) for the collection, compilation, abstraction and publication by officers of that Minister of the Government of any vital statistics, or
( b) for the performance by those officers of any other functions provided for by this section or the regulations thereunder.
(7) This section is without prejudice to any other obligation imposed by or under this or any other Act to give information in relation to a birth, stillbirth, death, marriage, F267 [ decree of divorce or decree of nullity ] F262 [ of marriage, civil partnership, decree of dissolution, decree of nullity of civil partnership, ] or any other matter.