Civil Registration Act 2004
14.— F52 [ (1) As soon as may be after the appointment of the first Superintendent Registrar of a registration area, he or she shall prepare a scheme in writing for the administration of the Civil Registration Service in that area and shall, after it has been approved by the Executive, submit the scheme to the Minister. ]
(2) When a scheme or a scheme under subsection (3) is submitted to the Minister, he or she may, after consultation with an tArd-Chláraitheoir, approve of it or refuse to approve of it or request the Superintendent Registrar concerned to make specified amendments, or amendments in relation to specified matters, to the scheme and then re-submit the amended scheme to the Minister for his or her approval.
(3) ( a) A scheme may be amended or revoked by a scheme under this subsection prepared by the Superintendent Registrar F52 [ of the registration area concerned ].
( b) A scheme under this subsection shall, after it has been approved by F52 [ the Executive ], be submitted to the Minister.
(4) A scheme or a scheme under subsection (3) shall be subject to the approval of F52 [ the Executive ].
(5) A scheme may contain such incidental, supplementary and consequential provisions as appear to F52 [ the Executive ] to be necessary or expedient for the purposes of the scheme.
(6) The Minister may, in consultation with an tArd-Chláraitheoir and F52 [ the Executive ], review the operation of a scheme that has been approved by the Minister or a scheme under subsection (3) that has been so approved (except in so far as it revokes another scheme) and may, having regard to the results of the review and after the consultation aforesaid, request the Superintendent Registrar concerned to make specified amendments, or amendments in relation to specified matters, to the scheme or to revoke it and prepare another scheme.
F52 [ (7) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1) , a scheme shall specify in relation to a registration area —
( a ) the number of registrars required for the purpose of the performance of the Executive's functions within that area,
( b ) the number of other employees required for that purpose,
( c ) the locations within that area of the offices of the Executive,
( d ) the proposed functions of, and distribution of functions between, the registrars and employees assigned pursuant to the scheme,
( e ) particulars of the proposed conditions of employment of the registrars and employees assigned pursuant to the scheme, and
( f ) particulars or provisions in relation to any other matter standing specified for the time being by the Minister. ]
(8) When a scheme or a scheme under subsection (3) is approved by the Minister, it shall have effect in accordance with its terms and the functions of F52 [ the Executive in relation to the registration area concerned ] shall be performed in accordance with any relevant provisions of the scheme or the scheme under subsection (3).
(9) A scheme or a scheme under subsection (3) shall come into operation on such day or days as may be specified in it either generally or with reference to any particular purpose or provision and different days may be so specified for different purposes or different provisions.
(10) In this section “registrar” means a registrar within the meaning of section 17 .