Valuation Act 2001
Commissioner of Valuation
Commissioner of Valuation.
9.—(1) In this section “current Commissioner” means the Commissioner holding office immediately before the commencement of this Act and references in this section to the Commissioner, without qualification, shall, other than in subsections (5) to (9), be construed as including references to the current Commissioner.
(2) Notwithstanding the repeal by section 8 of the Act of 1852, the office of Commissioner shall continue in being.
(3) The terms and conditions on which the current Commissioner shall hold office shall be those on which he or she held office immediately before the commencement of this Act.
(4) On the expiry of the term of office of the current Commissioner (whether by effluxion of time or otherwise) subsections (5) to (9) shall have effect in relation to the office of Commissioner.
(5) The Commissioner shall be appointed by the Minister.
(6) The Commissioner shall hold office on such terms and conditions and receive such remuneration and allowances as the Minister may determine.
(7) A person appointed to be the Commissioner shall hold office for such period as the Minister may determine when appointing him or her, but the Minister may, whenever he or she thinks fit, continue the appointment (including an appointment previously continued under this subsection) for such further period as he or she considers appropriate.
(8) The Commissioner may be removed from office at any time by the Minister.
(9) If the Commissioner is removed from office under subsection (8) , the Minister shall cause to be laid before each House of the Oireachtas a statement of the reason for the removal.
(10) The Commissioner shall be independent in the performance of his or her functions.
(11) The Commissioner may do all such acts or things as are necessary or expedient for the purpose of the performance of his or her functions F7 [ under this Act, including the entering into arrangements with persons (other than officers of the Commissioner) to perform such functions or portions of such functions, including with respect to different classes of relevant properties or different geographical areas within rating authority areas ].
(12) The Commissioner shall furnish to the Minister such information regarding the performance of his or her functions as the Minister may from time to time request.
Substituted (8.06.2015) by Valuation (Amendment) Act 2015 (10/2015), s. 4, S.I. No. 229 of 2015, subject to transitional provisions in ss. 41-45.