Credit Union Act 1997
Special fund for social, cultural etc. purposes.
44.— (1) By a resolution passed by a majority of its members present and voting at a general meeting, a credit union may establish a special fund to be used by the credit union for such social, cultural or charitable purposes (including community development) as have been approved, either generally or specifically, by a similar resolution; and any such special fund shall be maintained separately from the rest of the credit union's finances.
(2) Subject to subsection (4), moneys may be paid into a special fund established by a credit union under this section only out of the annual operating surplus of the credit union; and no moneys may be so paid unless the directors are satisfied—
( a) that adequate provision has been made out of the surplus in question to cover all current and contingent liabilities and to maintain proper reserves; and
( b) that the payment of the moneys into the special fund will not affect the financial stability of the credit union.
(3) Subject to subsection (5), the amount of moneys which may be paid as mentioned in subsection (2) out of the annual operating surplus of any year shall not exceed 0.5 per cent. of the value of the credit union's assets as shown in the accounts for the most recent financial year ending before the date of the payment.
(4) In respect of the financial year in which the special fund is established, there may be paid into the special fund (in addition to any amount paid as mentioned in subsection (2)) an amount not exceeding 2.5 per cent. of the accumulated reserves of the credit union, excluding the F67 [ reserves required to be held under section 45 ] .
(5) If, by a resolution passed by not less than two-thirds of the members of the credit union present and voting at a general meeting called for the purpose, a credit union resolves to increase the percentage applicable to it under subsection (3) to a percentage to which the F68 [ Bank ] has consented in writing, that subsection shall have effect accordingly.
(6) Where a credit union has established a special fund under this section, the social, cultural or charitable purposes for which it is to be used may be varied by a further resolution passed as mentioned in subsection (1).
(7) If at any time—
( a) the board of directors make a recommendation in writing to the members of a credit union that it is appropriate to wind up a special fund established under this section, and
( b) a resolution for winding up the special fund is passed by a majority of the members of the credit union present and voting at a general meeting,
the moneys standing to the credit of the special fund shall be transferred to the general funds of the credit union and the special fund shall cease to exist.
Substituted (1.01.2016) by Credit Union and Co-operation with Overseas Regulators Act 2012 (40/2012), s. 35 and sch. 1 item 31, S.I. No. 584 of 2015.
Substituted (1.05.2003) by Central Bank and Financial Services Authority of Ireland Act 2003 (12/2003), s. 35(1) and sch. 1 pt. 24 item 23, S.I. No. 160 of 2003, subject to transitional provisions in s. 36 and sch. 3 para. 26.