FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT 1997
Review by heads of decisions.
14.— (1) This section applies to a decision made pursuant to this Act by a person to whom the function concerned stood delegated at the time of the making of the decision, being—
( b) a decision under section 11 to defer the offering of access to a record falling within paragraph (a) of subsection (1) of that section,
( c) a decision under section 12 to grant a request by giving access to the record concerned in a form other than that specified in the request,
( e) a decision under section 17 to refuse to amend a record,
( f) a decision under section 18 in relation to the contents of a statement furnished under subsection (1) of that section or to refuse an application under that subsection, or
( g) a decision to charge a fee or deposit, or a fee or deposit of a particular amount, under section 47 .
(2) Subject to the provisions of this section, the head of the public body concerned, on application to him or her in that behalf, in writing or in such other form as may be determined, by a relevant person—
( a) may review a decision to which this section applies, and
( b) following the review, may, as he or she considers appropriate—
(i) affirm or vary the decision, or
(ii) annul the decision and, if appropriate, make such decision in relation to the matter as he or she considers proper,
in accordance with this Act.
(3) A person to whom a function under this section stands delegated under section 4 shall not perform that function in relation to a decision to which this section applies that was made by a member of the staff of the public body concerned whose rank is the same as or higher than that of the person aforesaid.
(4) A decision under subsection (2) shall be made, and the head concerned shall cause notice thereof, in writing or in such other form as may be determined, to be given to the relevant person and any other person whom he or she considers should be notified thereof, not later than 3 weeks after the receipt by the head of the application for the review under that subsection concerned.
(5) A notice under subsection (4) shall specify—
( a) the day on which the decision concerned under that subsection was made,
( c) if the decision is to refuse to grant, wholly or in part, the request aforesaid, the information specified in subparagraph (i) of paragraph (d) of section 8 (2) and, if the refusal is not pursuant to F18 [ section 10(1)( c ), 19(5), 22(2), 23(2), 24(3), 26(4), 27(4) or 28(5A) ], the information specified in subparagraph (ii) of that paragraph,
( d) if the decision is to defer the giving of access to the record concerned, the reasons for the deferral and the period of the deferral,
( e) if the decision is a decision referred to in paragraph (c), (d), (e), (f) or (g) of subsection (1), the reasons for the decision, and
( f) particulars of the rights of review and appeal under this Act in relation to the decision, the procedure governing the exercise of those rights and the time limits governing such exercise.
(6) This section shall not be construed as requiring the inclusion in a notice under subsection (4) of matter that, if it were included in a record, would cause the record to be an exempt record.
(7) An application under subsection (2) shall be made not later than 4 weeks after the notification under this Act of the decision concerned to the relevant person concerned or, in a case in which the head concerned is of the opinion that there are reasonable grounds for extending that period, the expiration of such longer period as he or she may determine.
F18 [ (8) The relevant person concerned may, at any time before the making of a decision under subsection (2) following the review concerned, by notice in writing or in such other form as may be determined, given to the head concerned, withdraw the application concerned under that subsection and the head concerned shall cause a copy of any notice given to him or her under this subsection to be given to any other person to whom, in the opinion of the head, it should be given. ]
(9) Subsection (3) of section 8 shall apply in relation to a case where a decision under subsection (2) is to grant a request under section 7 or to annul or vary a deferral under section 11 with the modification that the reference in the said subsection (3) to the grant of a request under subsection (1) of section 8 shall be construed as a reference to the making of the decision under subsection (2).
(10) Subject to the provisions of this Act, a decision under subsection (2) shall—
( a) in so far as it is inconsistent with the decision to which this section applies concerned, have effect in lieu thereof, and
( b) be binding on the parties concerned.
(11) In this section “ relevant person”, in relation to a decision to which this section applies, means—
( a) the requester concerned, or
Substituted (11.4.2003) by Freedom of Information (Amendment) Act 2003 (9/2003), s. 9, commenced on enactment.
Provision for repayment of fee paid on withdrawal of application under section made (7.07.2003) by Freedom of Information Act 1997 (Fees) Regulations 2003 (S.I. No. 264 of 2003), reg. 5.