Transnational Information and Consultation of Employees Act 1996
Election of Employees’ Representatives
Paragraph 2 (2) of Second Schedule.
1. An employee who is employed in the State by the relevant undertaking or group of undertakings (wherever located) on the day or days of the election for employees’ representatives, shall be entitled to vote in such an election.
2. An employee who has been employed in the State by the undertaking or group of undertakings in a full-time or regular part-time capacity for a continuous period of not less than one year on the nomination day, or, in relation to a Special Negotiating Body, a trade union official or official of an excepted body, whether or not he or she is an employee, shall be eligible to stand as a candidate for election as an employees’ representative provided that he or she is nominated—
( a) by a trade union or an excepted body which is already recognised by the business units of the undertaking or group of undertakings located in the State for collective bargaining or information and consultation purposes, or
( b) by at least two employees.
3. Where the number of candidates on the nomination day exceeds the number of employees’ representatives to be elected to the Special Negotiating Body or a European Works Council, or in connection with an arrangement for the information and consultation of employees, a poll shall be taken by the returning officer and voting in the poll shall take place by secret ballot on a day or days to be decided by the returning officer and according to the principle of proportional representation.
4. The central management in consultation with existing employee representatives shall appoint a returning officer whose duties shall include the organisation and conduct of nominations and elections and that officer may authorise other persons to assist in the performance of the duties of returning officer.
5. The returning officer shall perform his or her duties in a fair and reasonable manner and in the interests of an orderly and proper conduct of nomination and election procedures.
6. The cost of the nomination and election procedure shall be borne by the central management.