LABOUR SERVICES ACT 1987
F7 [ Accountability of Director General of An Foras Á iseanna Saothair to other committees of Houses of Oireachtas.
6B. — (1) In this section ‘ Committee ’ means a Committee appointed by either House of the Oireachtas or jointly by both Houses of the Oireachtas (other than the Committee referred to in section 6A (inserted by section 4 of the Labour Services (Amendment) Act 2009) or the Committee on Members ’ Interests of D á il É ireann or the Committee on Members ’ Interests of Seanad É ireann) or a subcommittee of such a Committee.
(2) Subject to subsection (3), the Director General shall, at the request in writing of a Committee, attend before it to give an account in respect of matters relating to the general administration of An Foras that fall within the terms of reference of the Committee.
(3) The Director General shall not be required to give an account before a Committee in respect of any matter that has been, or is or is likely to be, the subject of proceedings before a court or tribunal in the State.
(4) Where the Director General is of the opinion that a matter in respect of which he is requested to give an account before a Committee is a matter to which subsection (3) applies, he shall, as soon as may be after the making of the request, inform the Committee in writing of that opinion and the reasons for the opinion, unless the information is conveyed to the Committee at a time when the Director General is before it.
(5) Where the Director General has informed a Committee of his opinion in accordance with subsection (4) and the Committee wish to proceed with the request concerned, the Chairperson of the Committee may, on behalf of the Committee, apply to the High Court in a summary manner for a determination of the question whether the matter is one to which subsection (3) applies, and the High Court shall determine the matter.
(6) Where the Director General informs a Committee, in accordance with subsection (4), that he is of the opinion that a matter in respect of which he is requested to give an account before the Committee is a matter to which subsection (3) applies, then, subject to subsection (7), he shall not attend before the Committee to give an account in respect of the matter.
(7) If, upon an application under subsection (5), the High Court determines that the matter concerned is one to which subsection (3) applies, the Committee shall withdraw the request referred to in subsection (2), but if the High Court determines that subsection (3) does not apply, the Director General shall attend before the Committee to give an account in respect of the matter. ]