Industrial Development Act 1986
[1969, s. 39; 1981, s. 4]
28.—(1) F23[…] the Authority may make a grant (in this section referred to as a training grant), on such terms and conditions as it thinks proper, for the training (either in the State or elsewhere) of persons in the processes of an industrial undertaking, if the undertaking conforms to the criteria set out in subsections (3) and (4) of section 21 and the training so provided will assist the undertaking to achieve the objectives of the said subsection (3).
(2) A training grant may be made for the training of persons for positions of supervision or management in an industrial undertaking or for the engagement of instructors, technical advisers or consultants to train (or assist in the training of) persons for such positions.
(3) The amount of training grants made in respect of a particular industrial undertaking shall not exceed the sum of the amount of wages or salaries paid by the undertaking during the period of training to the persons being trained, the amount of expenses paid to those persons by the undertaking for travel and subsistence and the amount paid by the undertaking in respect of fees (including fees and remuneration of instructors, advisers and consultants) and similar expenses connected with the training.
F24[(4) Without the prior permission of the Government, the total amount of money granted to a particular undertaking under this section shall not exceed in the aggregate the higher of—
(a) F25[€7,500,000], or
(b) F25[€7,500,000] in excess of the aggregate amount of such expenditure for which the prior permission of the Government has previously been obtained.]
Deleted (13.07.1998) by Industrial Development (Enterprise Ireland) Act 1998 (34/1998), s. 43, commenced on enactment.
Substituted (25.07.2003) by Industrial Development (Science Foundation Ireland) Act 2003 (30/2003), s. 30, S.I. No. 325 of 2003.
Amended (19.05.2009) by Industrial Development Act 2009 (11/2009), s. 3(b), commenced on enactment.
Modifications (not altering text):
Functions under section transferred (1.08.2014) by Industrial Development (Forfás Dissolution) Act 2014 (13/2014), s. 18 and sch., commenced as per subs. (8) and S.I. No. 341 of 2014.
Transfer of functions to Enterprise Ireland and IDA
18. (1) The functions specified in the Schedule are transferred to Enterprise Ireland and IDA.
(2) The functions transferred under subsection (1) may be performed—
(a) by either Enterprise Ireland or IDA, or
(b) jointly by both Enterprise Ireland and IDA.
(3) The functions specified in paragraph (c) of subsection (1) of section 8 of the Act of 1987 are transferred to IDA.
(4) A function transferred under subsection (1) shall be performed by Enterprise Ireland or IDA, or both, as the case may be, in accordance with such directions (if any) as may be issued by the Minister from time to time.
(5) A function transferred under subsection (3) shall be performed by IDA in accordance with such directions (if any) as may be issued by the Minister from time to time.
(6) Any assignment of powers and functions under section 9 of the Act of 1993 to Enterprise Ireland or IDA in force immediately before the coming into operation of this section shall cease to have effect on that coming into operation.
(7) Subsection (3) of section 3 of the Act of 1995 is repealed. (8) This section shall come into operation on the dissolution day.
(8) This section shall come into operation on the dissolution day.
Functions Transferred to Enterprise Ireland and IDA
Functions referred to in: ...
2. Subsections (3), (5) and (7) of section 5, paragraphs (a), (c) to (h) and (j) of subsection (1) of section 11, sections 16, 18 to 32 , 36 and 37 of the Industrial Development Act 1986.
Previous affecting provision: subs. (4) amended (13.07.1998) by Industrial Development (Enterprise Ireland) Act 1998 (34/1998), s. 34(2)(e), commenced on enactment; subsection amended as per F-note above.