Firearms Act 1964
F8[Renewal of firearm certificate.
9.— (1) The Commissioner may from time to time renew a firearm certificate granted by him or her.
(2) The superintendent of the district where the holder of such a certificate resides may from time to time renew such a certificate.
(3) The superintendent of a district where the holder of a firearm certificate resides may from time to time renew a firearm certificate which has been granted by a superintendent.
(4) An inspector or sergeant of the Garda Síochána in the district where the holder of a firearm certificate issued by a superintendent resides may from time to time renew the certificate.
(5) A superintendent, or other member of the Garda Síochána, who is authorised under this section to renew a firearm certificate (“an authorised member”) may refuse to renew it, or vary any conditions to which it is subject under section 4(2)(g) of the Principal Act, only if prior sanction to do so in the particular case has been given by the Commissioner or superintendent, as the case may be.
F9[(6) An application for renewal of a firearm certificate shall be in the prescribed form.]
(7) A renewal of a firearm certificate shall be in the prescribed form.
(8) Before renewing a firearm certificate, an authorised member shall be of opinion that the conditions to which it is subject have been complied with and will continue to be complied with during the period for which the certificate is renewed.
(9) On the renewal of a firearm certificate, an authorised member may, subject to subsection (5) of this section, vary any conditions to which the certificate is subject under section 4(2)(g) of the Principal Act, if of opinion that such a variation is necessary in the interests of public safety or security.]
Substituted (1.08.2006) by Criminal Justice Act 2006 (26/2006), s. 53, S.I. No. 390 of 2006.
Substituted (1.08.2009) by Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 (28/2009), s. 37, S.I. No. 310 of 2009.
Renewal of certificate applied for under this section may in certain circumstances be deemed to be granted under Wildlife Act 1976 (39/1976), s. 29 as provided (1.06.1977) by that section, S.I. No. 154 of 1977.