Civil Liability Act 1961
F37 [ Indexation of periodic payments
51L. (1) A periodic payments order shall provide for the amount of a payment under the order to be adjusted annually by reference to the Harmonised Index of Consumer Prices as published by the Central Statistics Office or such other index as may be specified under this section.
(2) The Minister shall, not less than 5 years after the commencement of this Part, carry out a review of the application of the index referred to in subsection (1) (in this section referred to as an ‘ initial review ’ ) in order to determine the suitability of that index for the purposes of the annual adjustment of the amount of payments provided for under periodic payments orders.
(3) The Minister shall, 5 years after the initial review and every 5 years thereafter, carry out a review of the application of the index referred to in subsection (1) or such other index as may be specified by him or her under this section, in order to determine the suitability of the index concerned for the purposes of the annual adjustment of the amount of payments provided for under periodic payments orders.
(4) Subject to subsection (5) , where, pursuant to an initial review or a review under subsection (3) , the Minister is of the opinion that an alternative index would be more suitable for the purpose of the annual adjustment of the amount of payments provided for under periodic payments orders, he or she shall, subject to the consent of the Minister for Finance, make regulations specifying the index to be used for that purpose.
(5) In forming an opinion for the purpose of subsection (4) , the Minister shall have regard to —
( a ) the relevance of the goods and services on which an index is based to the loss or expenditure, including cost of care and medical expenses, for which plaintiffs who are the subject of periodic payments orders are compensated,
( b ) the body calculating the index,
( c ) whether or not the index is accessible at the same time or times each year,
( d ) the reliability of the index over time, and
( e ) the reproducibility of the index in the future.
(6) The index specified in regulations under subsection (4) shall apply to an annual adjustment of the amount of a payment to be made under a periodic payments order where the annual adjustment is made after —
( a ) the date of the making of the regulations, or
( b ) such later date as may be specified in the regulations.
(7) Regulations under this section shall be laid before each House of the Oireachtas as soon as may be after they are made and if a resolution annulling the regulations is passed by either such House within the next 21 days on which that House has sat after the regulations are laid before it, the regulations shall be annulled accordingly but without prejudice to the validity of anything previously done under the regulations. ]