Greyhound Industry Act 1958
F5[Members of Board.
8. — (1) The Minister shall appoint the members of the Board, having regard to Government policy and procedures.
(2) Of the ordinary members of the Board —
(a) one or more than one shall be a veterinary practitioner of at least 5 years standing, and
(b) one or more than one shall be a person with a detailed knowledge of the greyhound industry.
(3) The chairperson of the Board shall hold office for the period of 5 years from the date of his or her appointment.
(4) Subject to subsection (4), an ordinary member of the Board shall hold office for the period of 3 years from the date of his or her appointment.
(5) On the commencement of section 9 of the Greyhound Racing Act 2019 any member of the Board with less than 3 years service on the Board from his or her first or subsequent appointment, shall continue as a member of the Board until he or she has served 3 years.
(6) A person who has served 2 consecutive terms of office as a member of the Board is not eligible for re-appointment.
(8) A member of the Board, subject to this Act, holds office upon such terms and conditions (including terms and conditions relating to remuneration, expenses and allowances) as the Minister, with the consent of the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, determines.
(9) If a member of the Board dies, resigns, ceases to be qualified for office and ceases to hold office, or is removed from office, the Minister may appoint a person to be a member of the Board to fill the casual vacancy so occasioned.
(10) A person appointed to be a member of the Board under subsection (8) holds office for that period of the term of office of the member who occasioned the casual vacancy that remains unexpired at the date of his or her appointment and is eligible for reappointment as a member of the Board for one term of office on the expiry of that period.
(11) Where a member of the Board, whose term of office has expired, has not been reappointed or may not be reappointed by virtue of having served 2 consecutive terms, the member shall continue in office until the vacancy occasioned by him or her is filled by the appointment of another person.
(12) The Board may act notwithstanding any vacancy in its membership.]
Substituted (1.03.2022) by Greyhound Racing Act 2019 (15/2019), s. 9(1), S.I. No. 80 of 2022.